My friend Lina becomes very interested in cooking nowadays. Cooking is a fantastic thing for cooking lovers. But there is something more important than cooking. Can you guess it? Yes, absolutely! Knowing the proper use of a knife is more important than cooking. But Lina is a beginner. So she knows nothing about it.
Knives are the most essential and sensitive thing in the kitchen. The knife may be dangerous for an inexpert or beginner. Everyone should have learned the knife tricks before starting cooking.
Lina is a beginner, so she wants to know the knife tricks and tips. By learning the tricks and tips, she can do her cooking quickly.
So if you are a beginner in cooking like Lina and keen to know the kitchen knife tricks, this content is just for you.
In this context, you may learn five fantastic knife tricks, dos, and don’ts, etc. So let’s start.
Wait, do you know what is knife actually? Before knowing the tricks, let’s know about the knife.
A knife is a tool by which we can cut or chop something. People from the ancient period of time using the knife. Originally it was made of wood, stone, or bone. In this modern era, a knife is made of titanium, bronze, copper, iron, ceramic, etc. Different knives are used for different purposes. A knife consists of:
1. Know the Types of Knives:
At first, you have to know the types of knives. Different knives have different uses.
Big knives: According to famous chef Brendan McDermott by big knives, you can do anything you want. He classified these knives into four types:
Chef’s knife: multi-purpose knife. You can use it for all kinds of slicing.
Paring knife: you can use it for making garnishes, peeling fruits, shrimps, and vegetables.
Serrated utility knife: It is very well for a small slicing job.
Boning knife: Best for dedicating fish
To bring out something from inside, you can use large knives. Large knives are of three types:
- Bread knife: Best for slicing bread.
- Carving knife: Used for slicing meat
- Cleaver: Used for cleaving meat and bone.
Small knives are necessary for giving finishing. Small knives are of four types:
- Fluting Knife: Used to make decorations.
- Mincing knife: For cutting herbs and vegetables.
- Peeling knife: Used for removing the skin of fruits and vegetables.
- Trimming knife: To get all retro, you can use it.
Especially suitable for doing something. There are three types of special knives:
- Cheese knife: Best for slicing cheese
- Decorating knife: To decorate something in an attractive shape.
- Grapefruit knife: Used for separating the grapefruit from the peel and pith.
2. Cutting techniques:
Elementary cutting: elementary cutting technique is one kind of cutting technique by which we can cut something in halves, quarters, larger pieces etc. for this type of cutting, we can use the chef’s knife. We have already known about the chef’s knife on above. To perform elementary cutting, you have to apply pressure. For elementary cutting, we can use some techniques for our safety.
- Claw effect: use the claw effect for the hand that is holding the object being cut. Maintain a minimum distance between the claw and blade; otherwise, you will face the problem to see the blade.
- Arch effect: it is also tremendous for elementary cutting. Hold the object by making an arch of thumb and other fingers. Then, place your blade in this arch and cut. Remember your fingers should be far away from the trajectory of the blade.
You may also like –
Rough chopping is especially for herbs and vegetables. For performing this chopping, you can use the chef’s knife or cleaver. In rough chopping leading hand, the position is very important. Place the leading hand’s fingers on the upper side of the blade. You can also use the claw effect. And for soft object chopping, you can place your leading hand far away. There are two techniques for rough chopping:
- Up and down the knife at a straight angle of 90 degrees.
- Or, fix the front of the blade by fingers of leading hands and up and down the knife by other hands
- Or, for a perfect finishing, you can choose the different technique of chopping
To perform this, chopping use chef’s knife. This technique is for slicing or dicing small objects into various shapes. But remember, it is not suitable for slicing an onion.
Small size objects are best for rock chopping. If your object is large, at first cut it into a comfortable shape like half or quarter. Then, begin to chop.
You have to keep the knife parallel to the object. That means the knife and object should be at a 90-degree angle.
You can use the claw effect for rock chopping. Slightly move your claw while chopping. Maintain a safe distance.
Or, fix the front top portion of the blade by your fingertips and up and down the blade by the other hand. Chop as your desired shape.
This chopping technique is best for slicing onion, tomato. For performing this technique, you need to use the chef’s knife, pair knife, or cleaver. This is much similar to rock chopping, but there is only one difference. Here you have to chop straightly. You can’t cut in a rocking motion.
3. Sharpen your Blade:
A blunt knife is more dangerous than a sharp knife. If your blade is not sharped well, you will face problem while cutting. The blade may slip from your hand and cause an accident. So sharpen your blade before cutting. You can use an everyday object to sharp your blade:
- Coffee mug: Ceramic coffee cup is perfect for knife sharpening. The bottom of the cup is rougher than any other part. So rub the blade at the rougher side until it becomes sharp.
Leather bag: It keens the blade
- Sandpaper: You can also use sandpaper for sharpening.
- Nail file: if sandpaper is not available, you use a nail file instead of it.
- Nylon strap: After using sandpaper or nail file, run the blade against a nylon strap.
- Cardboard: instead of nylon strap you can use cardboard
- Car window: The rough edge of a car window is perfect for blade sharpening.
- The spine of another knife: it is also suitable for blade sharpening when you have no option.
- Smooth stone: You can use smooth stone if you don’t have a sharpening stone.
- Concrete: concrete is available everywhere. But always try to use smooth concrete; otherwise, it can cause damage to your knife.
4. Store your Knives:
The best way of taking care of your knives is to store them properly. Storing is very important after sharpening. So there are some objects for you:
Wooden knife block
They are attractive and can show off your impressive collection. It is easy to organize your knives in a wooden block. Each slot of the block is designated.
Magnetic knife bar
A magnetic knife bar is trendy among professionals. In a small kitchen where not enough place is not available, a magnetic knife bar is best for them. It is easy to install on the wall. Not need as much space as placing a wooden knife block.
If you want to store your knife in an inexpensive way, if you don’t have a massive collection of knives, a plastic knife edge is the best choice for you.
5. Ensure Safety:
- Hold the knife down while walking: While walking, always hold the knife down. Because you can slip or fall while walking. If you keep the knife down you can be safe or if you did not keep it down it can cause death.
- Don’t throw the knife: If you throw knives, it can be hazardous.
- Protect your finger while using: The hand holding the object sometimes can come to the firing line. So be very careful about the finger.
- Never taste food using a knife: if you taste food using a knife, it can cause damage to your mouth.
- Keep away from children: Knives are very sharp, so store in a safe place where children can’t reach to have.
- Don’t use a knife to open the can: using a knife for opening a can, may cut your hand.
- Always work on a stable surface: Before starting cutting or chopping, ensure the surface stability. A stable surface will ensure perfect cutting. The solid surface is best for cutting and chopping. It helps to maintain balance and also helps to work fluently.
I hope these tricks will help you to use a knife comfortably. Be careful while using a knife. Give full concentration on a knife while cutting. Try all these tricks and become a perfect cook. But remember one thing practice makes a man perfect. Practice all these one days you will become an expert. So don’t wait to try these tricks.